Twilighters Retreat
Twilighters Retreat is a forum for people over the age of 18 who share a love of Twilight, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood and more.
Twilighters Retreat
Twilighters Retreat is a forum for people over the age of 18 who share a love of Twilight, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood and more.
Twilighters Retreat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Twilight Saga, The Vampire Diaries, Favourite authors and anything else you would like to discuss

HomeWelcomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» TVD Nominated for PCA's!
Michael Sheen to play Hamlet I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 2:42 am by amandatran8

» Episode 9: Katerina
Michael Sheen to play Hamlet I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 2:34 am by amandatran8

» New York Comic Con Teaser
Michael Sheen to play Hamlet I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 6:50 am by amandatran8

» Taylor Lautner on the set of 'Abduction'
Michael Sheen to play Hamlet I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:55 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» 2 outtakes of Taylor Lautner from Interview Magazine
Michael Sheen to play Hamlet I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:53 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» New Fan Photo of Taylor Lautner on the set of Abduction
Michael Sheen to play Hamlet I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:51 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» 561 screencaps of Taylor Lautner in 'Valentine's Day'
Michael Sheen to play Hamlet I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:48 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» Five things to look forward to from 'The Twilight Saga: Eclipse' DVD release
Michael Sheen to play Hamlet I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:42 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» New & Old HQ pics of Kristen and Taylor at the Eclipse Rome Photocall
Michael Sheen to play Hamlet I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:36 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

Facebook
Twitter
Robert Pattinson
Michael Sheen to play Hamlet Fxwfax
Alexander Skarsgard
Michael Sheen to play Hamlet 2zq8s3c
Eric
Michael Sheen to play Hamlet Near15
Paul Wesley
Michael Sheen to play Hamlet 2ir18g5
Peter Facinelli
Michael Sheen to play Hamlet 24l7xcp
Stephen Moyer
Michael Sheen to play Hamlet 158795f
Jackson Rathbone
Michael Sheen to play Hamlet 30djz1h
Ian Somerhalder
Michael Sheen to play Hamlet 23kagwg
Damon
Michael Sheen to play Hamlet 34xgjcx
Kellan Lutz
Michael Sheen to play Hamlet 6fpnb4
Taylor Lautner
Michael Sheen to play Hamlet 24pjt4p
Stats

Michael Sheen to play Hamlet

Go down 
AuthorMessage
EquallyDazzled
ADMIN
ADMIN
EquallyDazzled

Michael Sheen to play Hamlet Empty
PostSubject: Michael Sheen to play Hamlet   Michael Sheen to play Hamlet I_icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 10:53 am

MICHAEL Sheen is to take on the most career-defining of all roles next year, he has announced – playing Hamlet at London’s Young Vic theatre.

The Port Talbot actor, made famous by his uncanny performances as Tony Blair, Brian Clough and David Frost, will go back to his Shakespearean roots to perform under the directorship of Ian Rickson.

It will make him the third high-profile Hamlet in as many years after former timelord David Tennant and Jude Law won high praise for their performances under directors Gregory Doran and Michael Grandage.

Before winning fame as a film and TV actor, Sheen, 41, was an accomplished Shakespearean actor who performed in highly acclaimed productions of Romeo and Juliet and Henry V.

He said: “It's the most dangerous play that exists, yet our culture has made it safe. It has become a rite of passage play for actors. But it is about the very nature of life, death and reality. What I want is to make it difficult and jagged again, unsettling and uncomfortable and disorienting for the audience.

“One of the advantages of coming at it at this end of my career is that I am less concerned with establishing myself as an actor. I’ve done enough things to realise that unless the whole piece is working, it doesn't matter whether your part is big or small.

“I worked with Ian on Betrayal for a tribute to Pinter at the National Theatre. I liked the way he worked, we worked well together and I love the fact that he doesn't really do classical stuff.

“I had seen Jerusalem at the Royal Court, and thought: ‘This is the guy for me’. I asked him if he'd do Hamlet, and he said he’d go away and think about it, reread the play. I loved that he didn't say yes right away. If he was going to do it, it was because he really wanted to do it.”

Sheen will also perform with the National Theatre of Wales next year in a version of Port Talbot’s traditional mystery plays created with poet Owen Sheers.

Source
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1