Twilighters Retreat
Twilighters Retreat is a forum for people over the age of 18 who share a love of Twilight, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood and more.
Twilighters Retreat
Twilighters Retreat is a forum for people over the age of 18 who share a love of Twilight, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood and more.
Twilighters Retreat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Twilight Saga, The Vampire Diaries, Favourite authors and anything else you would like to discuss

HomeWelcomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» TVD Nominated for PCA's!
In the Lair of the Vampire True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets. I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 2:42 am by amandatran8

» Episode 9: Katerina
In the Lair of the Vampire True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets. I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 2:34 am by amandatran8

» New York Comic Con Teaser
In the Lair of the Vampire True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 6:50 am by amandatran8

» Taylor Lautner on the set of 'Abduction'
In the Lair of the Vampire True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:55 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» 2 outtakes of Taylor Lautner from Interview Magazine
In the Lair of the Vampire True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:53 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» New Fan Photo of Taylor Lautner on the set of Abduction
In the Lair of the Vampire True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:51 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» 561 screencaps of Taylor Lautner in 'Valentine's Day'
In the Lair of the Vampire True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:48 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» Five things to look forward to from 'The Twilight Saga: Eclipse' DVD release
In the Lair of the Vampire True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:42 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» New & Old HQ pics of Kristen and Taylor at the Eclipse Rome Photocall
In the Lair of the Vampire True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:36 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

Facebook
Twitter
Robert Pattinson
In the Lair of the Vampire True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets. Fxwfax
Alexander Skarsgard
In the Lair of the Vampire True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets. 2zq8s3c
Eric
In the Lair of the Vampire True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets. Near15
Paul Wesley
In the Lair of the Vampire True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets. 2ir18g5
Peter Facinelli
In the Lair of the Vampire True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets. 24l7xcp
Stephen Moyer
In the Lair of the Vampire True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets. 158795f
Jackson Rathbone
In the Lair of the Vampire True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets. 30djz1h
Ian Somerhalder
In the Lair of the Vampire True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets. 23kagwg
Damon
In the Lair of the Vampire True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets. 34xgjcx
Kellan Lutz
In the Lair of the Vampire True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets. 6fpnb4
Taylor Lautner
In the Lair of the Vampire True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets. 24pjt4p
Stats

In the Lair of the Vampire True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
EquallyDazzled
ADMIN
ADMIN
EquallyDazzled

In the Lair of the Vampire True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets. Empty
PostSubject: In the Lair of the Vampire True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets.   In the Lair of the Vampire True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets. I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 4:19 pm

In the Lair of the Vampire
True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets.

In the Lair of the Vampire True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets. Trueblood100614_1_560

1. Merlotte’s is the show’s main gathering place, where True Blood’s Sookie works as a waitress. The set is based on countless southern dive bars, right down to the Dogfish Head ale on tap.
2. There’s a fully functioning kitchen behind the bar. “We built this set so that we could follow the actors around on a Steadicam.”
3. Among the snapshots near the cash register is a photo of Ball with Charlaine Harris; the show is based on her Sookie Stackhouse vampire novels.

Alan Ball is in the dungeon underneath Fangtasia, the vampire-owned strip club on HBO’s True Blood, and it’s as cold and creepy as it looks on TV. It’s the place where the bad vampires chain and shackle humans they can torture, then exsanguinate; in one scene last year, a townie named Royce was ripped to shreds, literally. Ball is unsuccessfully trying to turn on the lights, but instead feels his way to a corner to study a mysterious piece of machinery—what looks like an antique boiler. “I’ve never seen this here before,” says Ball excitedly. “It’s gnarly. I’ve got to figure out how to use it.”

Whatever he decides to do, it won’t end well. Few auteurs are as comfortable with death and darkness as Ball, who won an Oscar for his screenplay for American Beauty; whose first series for HBO, Six Feet Under, was about a family of morticians; and whose current show fetishizes the undead. “After Six Feet Under ended, I wanted a change,” he says, “and True Blood seemed so fun and bright.”

Perhaps he means bright as in quick-witted. True Blood, which begins its third season June 13, is set mostly at night; the action, design, and even the acting are steeped in an unrelenting (albeit often mordantly comic) murk. Most sets are located in West Hollywood; the exteriors are shot in Mississippi and Louisiana, where the show takes place, in the fictional town of Bon Temps.

Ball says if he weren’t a writer, “I’d want to be in the art department.” He works with the show’s production designer, Suzuki Ingerslev, as though he were “the owner of the house and she’s the interior designer.” Ingerslev, says Ball, travels to the Deep South to research and buy set pieces, creating a believable world of run-down décor within the larger fantastical elements of the show. “I’m always amazed by the level of detail in the sets,” says Ball. Now he is upstairs in Fangtasia, “where we’ve been filming a lot this season.” He points to a large portrait of a vampire. “See that guy? That’s Gregg Fienberg, one of our executive producers. Isn’t that funny?” We move to the bedroom of Sookie Stackhouse (the show’s central human character, played by Anna Paquin), where the floor is strewn with clothes and spattered with blood. “We’re putting people in more situations where they have to fight for what they want or for survival,” he explains cryptically.

The show has been criticized for excessive blood and gore, but, as Ball points out, the fine detailing of the sets extends to character development. “It’s so ingrained in us,” he says. “We might as well have a sign in the writers’ room that says, ‘It’s the emotions, stupid.’ And we have such a great cast that we want to give them stuff to play with, not just like, ‘Go get ’em!’ … ‘Watch out!’ … ‘Incoming!’ ”

The stresses of creating another groundbreaking series for HBO have eased up now that True Blood is a hit. “My mantra is, ‘This is just a TV show. It’s not worth going crazy, getting sick over, or becoming a drug addict for.’ ” He pauses, perhaps reconsidering the rest of his day, which includes writing the season finale, editing three episodes, and shooting another. “Okay, it feels like I’m closer to the ideal of relative sanity, rather than a person who’s consumed by what is ultimately not real.”

In the Lair of the Vampire True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets. Trueblood100614_2_560

1.“I told the art department that I wanted [Sookie’s] house to feel like it’s been around for 150 years. You’ll notice the floor sags and the joints aren’t true,” says Ball. “Most of the shelving pieces were found at a salvage place.”

2. “They aged everything in here,” says Ball of the kitchen. Dark grooves were added to the linoleum in front of the sink—the place that would naturally get the most wear.

3. A framed picture with an adage about “The Home” was crocheted by Ball’s mother. “The show’s production designer is always e-mailing me: ‘I found this piece, is there any place for it on the show?,’ ” says Ball. “ ‘Well, probably,’ I always tell her.”

Source
Back to top Go down

In the Lair of the Vampire True Blood creator Alan Ball digs into the show’s sets.
Page 1 of 1