Twilighters Retreat
Twilighters Retreat is a forum for people over the age of 18 who share a love of Twilight, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood and more.
Twilighters Retreat
Twilighters Retreat is a forum for people over the age of 18 who share a love of Twilight, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood and more.
Twilighters Retreat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Twilight Saga, The Vampire Diaries, Favourite authors and anything else you would like to discuss

HomeWelcomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» TVD Nominated for PCA's!
The Real Science Behind Sparkly Vampires I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 2:42 am by amandatran8

» Episode 9: Katerina
The Real Science Behind Sparkly Vampires I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 2:34 am by amandatran8

» New York Comic Con Teaser
The Real Science Behind Sparkly Vampires I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 6:50 am by amandatran8

» Taylor Lautner on the set of 'Abduction'
The Real Science Behind Sparkly Vampires I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:55 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» 2 outtakes of Taylor Lautner from Interview Magazine
The Real Science Behind Sparkly Vampires I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:53 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» New Fan Photo of Taylor Lautner on the set of Abduction
The Real Science Behind Sparkly Vampires I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:51 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» 561 screencaps of Taylor Lautner in 'Valentine's Day'
The Real Science Behind Sparkly Vampires I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:48 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» Five things to look forward to from 'The Twilight Saga: Eclipse' DVD release
The Real Science Behind Sparkly Vampires I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:42 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» New & Old HQ pics of Kristen and Taylor at the Eclipse Rome Photocall
The Real Science Behind Sparkly Vampires I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:36 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

Facebook
Twitter
Robert Pattinson
The Real Science Behind Sparkly Vampires Fxwfax
Alexander Skarsgard
The Real Science Behind Sparkly Vampires 2zq8s3c
Eric
The Real Science Behind Sparkly Vampires Near15
Paul Wesley
The Real Science Behind Sparkly Vampires 2ir18g5
Peter Facinelli
The Real Science Behind Sparkly Vampires 24l7xcp
Stephen Moyer
The Real Science Behind Sparkly Vampires 158795f
Jackson Rathbone
The Real Science Behind Sparkly Vampires 30djz1h
Ian Somerhalder
The Real Science Behind Sparkly Vampires 23kagwg
Damon
The Real Science Behind Sparkly Vampires 34xgjcx
Kellan Lutz
The Real Science Behind Sparkly Vampires 6fpnb4
Taylor Lautner
The Real Science Behind Sparkly Vampires 24pjt4p
Stats

The Real Science Behind Sparkly Vampires

Go down 
AuthorMessage
EquallyDazzled
ADMIN
ADMIN
EquallyDazzled

The Real Science Behind Sparkly Vampires Empty
PostSubject: The Real Science Behind Sparkly Vampires   The Real Science Behind Sparkly Vampires I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 2:23 pm

The Real Science Behind Sparkly Vampires 167wc9z

One of the most chastised elements in Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga is the fact that her tough-as-nails vampires sparkle. Perhaps the masses could get over the lack of pointy teeth, and maybe even the ability to go out in the sunlight, but to sparkle when the sun hits? Blasphemy! Anne Rice making her old vamps have papery skin is one thing, but likening a killer's visage with a sparkly diamond is another thing entirely. Dracula is rolling over in his dirt-lined crypt!

But there might be solid science behind the whys. You've just got to stomach this one fact: Vampires are highly evolved insects.

I Like a Little Science in My Fiction has written an excellent post that explains how and why Meyer's vampires sparkle. It all comes down to their many buggy comparisons. The theory starts with the knowledge that most of the hematophages in the world -- a fancy word for blood eaters -- are bugs. Like fleas, vampires must feed before they reproduce, which triggers a painful metamorphosis. Like butterflies, vamps can remember things from their lowly caterpillar/human days. They're cold-blooded, and have a hard exoskeleton instead of soft, pliable skin. Their speed is like that of the super-fast Tiger Beetle, strong like the horned dung beetle, and have eyes that put our human versions to shame.

But finally -- why do they sparkle? The site posits that vampires must be like butterflies -- sometimes known to feed on blood -- who have tiny iridescent scales.

Yes, it's silly, but it also makes a whole lot of sense. So, next time you pull a Bella and gush over Edward's sparkling face and divine beauty, keep in mind -- you might be lusting for a highly evolved insect.

Source
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1