Twilighters Retreat
Twilighters Retreat is a forum for people over the age of 18 who share a love of Twilight, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood and more.
Twilighters Retreat
Twilighters Retreat is a forum for people over the age of 18 who share a love of Twilight, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood and more.
Twilighters Retreat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Twilight Saga, The Vampire Diaries, Favourite authors and anything else you would like to discuss

HomeWelcomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» TVD Nominated for PCA's!
The Bad Mother’s Handbook - DVD Review I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 2:42 am by amandatran8

» Episode 9: Katerina
The Bad Mother’s Handbook - DVD Review I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 2:34 am by amandatran8

» New York Comic Con Teaser
The Bad Mother’s Handbook - DVD Review I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 6:50 am by amandatran8

» Taylor Lautner on the set of 'Abduction'
The Bad Mother’s Handbook - DVD Review I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:55 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» 2 outtakes of Taylor Lautner from Interview Magazine
The Bad Mother’s Handbook - DVD Review I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:53 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» New Fan Photo of Taylor Lautner on the set of Abduction
The Bad Mother’s Handbook - DVD Review I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:51 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» 561 screencaps of Taylor Lautner in 'Valentine's Day'
The Bad Mother’s Handbook - DVD Review I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:48 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» Five things to look forward to from 'The Twilight Saga: Eclipse' DVD release
The Bad Mother’s Handbook - DVD Review I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:42 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» New & Old HQ pics of Kristen and Taylor at the Eclipse Rome Photocall
The Bad Mother’s Handbook - DVD Review I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:36 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

Facebook
Twitter
Robert Pattinson
The Bad Mother’s Handbook - DVD Review Fxwfax
Alexander Skarsgard
The Bad Mother’s Handbook - DVD Review 2zq8s3c
Eric
The Bad Mother’s Handbook - DVD Review Near15
Paul Wesley
The Bad Mother’s Handbook - DVD Review 2ir18g5
Peter Facinelli
The Bad Mother’s Handbook - DVD Review 24l7xcp
Stephen Moyer
The Bad Mother’s Handbook - DVD Review 158795f
Jackson Rathbone
The Bad Mother’s Handbook - DVD Review 30djz1h
Ian Somerhalder
The Bad Mother’s Handbook - DVD Review 23kagwg
Damon
The Bad Mother’s Handbook - DVD Review 34xgjcx
Kellan Lutz
The Bad Mother’s Handbook - DVD Review 6fpnb4
Taylor Lautner
The Bad Mother’s Handbook - DVD Review 24pjt4p
Stats

The Bad Mother’s Handbook - DVD Review

Go down 
AuthorMessage
EquallyDazzled
ADMIN
ADMIN
EquallyDazzled

The Bad Mother’s Handbook - DVD Review Empty
PostSubject: The Bad Mother’s Handbook - DVD Review   The Bad Mother’s Handbook - DVD Review I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 12:39 pm

The Bad Mother’s Handbook - DVD Review Badmother

America’s favourite vampire keeps popping up in various movies that we either forgot about or never heard about. One such film is The Bad Mother’s Handbook, a one-off television drama based on the best-selling novel by Kate Long. It was broadcast on ITV in England in 2007, and made its way to DVD in North America this month. Starring Catherine Tate, Anne Reid, Holly Grainger and Robert Pattinson, the show received strong viewing when it was originally shown on television.

The Bad Mother’s Handbook depicts the story of one year in the lives of three women. Tate plays Karen, who is a frustrated woman in her thirties whose whole life and identity are shattered when she discovers a long-kept secret. Tate plays Karen’s clever and hormonal teenage daughter Charlotte, while Anne Reid appears as Karen’s mother, Nan, who is suffering from Alzheimer’s. Pattinson is Charlotte’s nerdy new friend, Daniel Gale.

The movie presents an insight into the life of motherhood and childhood, dwelling on the themes that no two mothers are alike, but that ultimately love is the most important thing of all.

It’s a bit like a British version of Juno, with the exception that none of the characters are loveable. In fact, the only real emotional response is the hate one feels for Karen. Tate plays Karen perfectly as a heartless “bad” mother. It takes her daughter’s venture into motherhood before she breaks down and shows her affection. Pattinson is more of a supporting character, which started off dry and lame, but eventually grew on me.

Maybe it’s the “chick-flick” factor, but I just didn’t understand the need for this movie. Similar to Juno, it wasn’t really a love story or a compelling look at one’s life, but more of a hard luck look at a chapter in the character’s lives. As a book it has a place and is well written, but as a movie it seems rather lame.

The Bad Mother’s Handbook - DVD Review Star25

Source
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1