Twilighters Retreat
Twilighters Retreat is a forum for people over the age of 18 who share a love of Twilight, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood and more.
Twilighters Retreat
Twilighters Retreat is a forum for people over the age of 18 who share a love of Twilight, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood and more.
Twilighters Retreat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Twilight Saga, The Vampire Diaries, Favourite authors and anything else you would like to discuss

HomeWelcomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» TVD Nominated for PCA's!
The Twilight effect or, thank you, Stephenie    I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 2:42 am by amandatran8

» Episode 9: Katerina
The Twilight effect or, thank you, Stephenie    I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 2:34 am by amandatran8

» New York Comic Con Teaser
The Twilight effect or, thank you, Stephenie    I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 6:50 am by amandatran8

» Taylor Lautner on the set of 'Abduction'
The Twilight effect or, thank you, Stephenie    I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:55 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» 2 outtakes of Taylor Lautner from Interview Magazine
The Twilight effect or, thank you, Stephenie    I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:53 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» New Fan Photo of Taylor Lautner on the set of Abduction
The Twilight effect or, thank you, Stephenie    I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:51 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» 561 screencaps of Taylor Lautner in 'Valentine's Day'
The Twilight effect or, thank you, Stephenie    I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:48 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» Five things to look forward to from 'The Twilight Saga: Eclipse' DVD release
The Twilight effect or, thank you, Stephenie    I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:42 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» New & Old HQ pics of Kristen and Taylor at the Eclipse Rome Photocall
The Twilight effect or, thank you, Stephenie    I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:36 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

Facebook
Twitter
Robert Pattinson
The Twilight effect or, thank you, Stephenie    Fxwfax
Alexander Skarsgard
The Twilight effect or, thank you, Stephenie    2zq8s3c
Eric
The Twilight effect or, thank you, Stephenie    Near15
Paul Wesley
The Twilight effect or, thank you, Stephenie    2ir18g5
Peter Facinelli
The Twilight effect or, thank you, Stephenie    24l7xcp
Stephen Moyer
The Twilight effect or, thank you, Stephenie    158795f
Jackson Rathbone
The Twilight effect or, thank you, Stephenie    30djz1h
Ian Somerhalder
The Twilight effect or, thank you, Stephenie    23kagwg
Damon
The Twilight effect or, thank you, Stephenie    34xgjcx
Kellan Lutz
The Twilight effect or, thank you, Stephenie    6fpnb4
Taylor Lautner
The Twilight effect or, thank you, Stephenie    24pjt4p
Stats

The Twilight effect or, thank you, Stephenie

Go down 
AuthorMessage
EquallyDazzled
ADMIN
ADMIN
EquallyDazzled

The Twilight effect or, thank you, Stephenie    Empty
PostSubject: The Twilight effect or, thank you, Stephenie    The Twilight effect or, thank you, Stephenie    I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 12:08 am

The Twilight effect or, thank you, Stephenie    2rg04fa

Ok, statistics first. I'm 43, husband, father, PR guy. Team Edward.

I knew the basics of Stephenie Meyer's wildly popular "Twilight Saga" phenomenon. A high school girl, Bella, falls in love with a vampire, Edward. He's a gentleman: chivalrous, conservative, no sex until marriage. She's self-deprecating to a fault. The book series sold like, well, like Twilight books.

For me, first came the movie. We got a free weekend of Showtime and "Twilight" was on. Boom, I was hooked. Now, I know movies and this was no great film, but it captured my attention. I couldn't stop talking about it. Talked with my wife, mother, co-workers and strangers. My 14-year-old daughter avoided laughing at me, to my face at least.

We got the set of four books and I dove in. We rented "New Moon" the following weekend. It was a better movie, still not great. That Jacob-the-werewolf-thing: Didn't care for it. The books though, they were different. I've never read "young adult" romance fiction, but by the end of Twilight, I was even more hooked. Can't say what exactly I was hooked on, but it had me.

Two movies down and into book two — "New Moon." Man, she loved Edward. Hole in the chest love. Emptiness and indescribable pain when separated. But again, that whole Jacob thing.

Books three and four — "Eclipse" and "Breaking Dawn" — were even better. They put meat on the bones of Bella's and Edward's love saga. While the movies focus too much on brooding angst, the books have a warm, almost light
feel, despite that Jacob nuisance.

So, there I was, reading the final pages of "Breaking Dawn." I was sitting on the couch next to my wife. She'd been amazingly supportive of my Twilight adventure. She's happy any time I'm reading instead of watching TV. Then, I was done. The saga was over.

I was sad. It was a happy ending. It had to be. But I still didn't know why I'd reacted the way I did. So I did something dudes don't do — I examined my emotions. Very strange. Uncomfortable even. After weeks and re-reading the books, I figured it out. It was obvious, right there, like she always is.

The reason I'd been so taken with this young adult romance was because I'd once been a young adult. I was older than 17 when I met my "Bella," but I knew right away. Within moments of meeting Diana, my life had changed.

I'm far from "Edward the vampire" perfect. I don't think before I open my mouth and I tick off my Bella more than I should, but I love her as much as the day I met her. Edward has nothing on me in the true love department.

While writing this, I walked over and kissed her and told her I love her. I could tell her a hundred thousand times, write poems and songs and pay a skywriter to put it up in the clouds and that wouldn't be enough to show her what she means to me.

I can remember like yesterday the moment I first saw her. She smiled and boom, I was hooked. I asked her to marry me 10 minutes later. Luckily, she took me seriously when I asked her for real.

So yes, I admit it. The Twilight Saga helped me realize something I knew all along, something I don't acknowledge nearly enough. I love my wife. I am blessed with love that, like Bella and Edward, I feel I don't deserve. I'm lucky in ways I don't understand.

For this moment of clarity, this tiny minute of joy among millions I get to spend with my true love, I say thank you, Stephenie, for writing your books and helping a middle-aged guy celebrate once-in-a-lifetime love discovered 20 years ago.

And yes, I still don't like Jacob. Put a shirt on, kid.

Source
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1