Twilighters Retreat
Twilighters Retreat is a forum for people over the age of 18 who share a love of Twilight, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood and more.
Twilighters Retreat
Twilighters Retreat is a forum for people over the age of 18 who share a love of Twilight, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood and more.
Twilighters Retreat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Twilight Saga, The Vampire Diaries, Favourite authors and anything else you would like to discuss

HomeWelcomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» TVD Nominated for PCA's!
'The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder on the Gulf Oil Disaster: 'Let's learn from this one' I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 2:42 am by amandatran8

» Episode 9: Katerina
'The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder on the Gulf Oil Disaster: 'Let's learn from this one' I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 2:34 am by amandatran8

» New York Comic Con Teaser
'The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder on the Gulf Oil Disaster: 'Let's learn from this one' I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 6:50 am by amandatran8

» Taylor Lautner on the set of 'Abduction'
'The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder on the Gulf Oil Disaster: 'Let's learn from this one' I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:55 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» 2 outtakes of Taylor Lautner from Interview Magazine
'The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder on the Gulf Oil Disaster: 'Let's learn from this one' I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:53 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» New Fan Photo of Taylor Lautner on the set of Abduction
'The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder on the Gulf Oil Disaster: 'Let's learn from this one' I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:51 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» 561 screencaps of Taylor Lautner in 'Valentine's Day'
'The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder on the Gulf Oil Disaster: 'Let's learn from this one' I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:48 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» Five things to look forward to from 'The Twilight Saga: Eclipse' DVD release
'The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder on the Gulf Oil Disaster: 'Let's learn from this one' I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:42 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» New & Old HQ pics of Kristen and Taylor at the Eclipse Rome Photocall
'The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder on the Gulf Oil Disaster: 'Let's learn from this one' I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:36 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

Facebook
Twitter
Robert Pattinson
'The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder on the Gulf Oil Disaster: 'Let's learn from this one' Fxwfax
Alexander Skarsgard
'The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder on the Gulf Oil Disaster: 'Let's learn from this one' 2zq8s3c
Eric
'The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder on the Gulf Oil Disaster: 'Let's learn from this one' Near15
Paul Wesley
'The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder on the Gulf Oil Disaster: 'Let's learn from this one' 2ir18g5
Peter Facinelli
'The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder on the Gulf Oil Disaster: 'Let's learn from this one' 24l7xcp
Stephen Moyer
'The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder on the Gulf Oil Disaster: 'Let's learn from this one' 158795f
Jackson Rathbone
'The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder on the Gulf Oil Disaster: 'Let's learn from this one' 30djz1h
Ian Somerhalder
'The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder on the Gulf Oil Disaster: 'Let's learn from this one' 23kagwg
Damon
'The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder on the Gulf Oil Disaster: 'Let's learn from this one' 34xgjcx
Kellan Lutz
'The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder on the Gulf Oil Disaster: 'Let's learn from this one' 6fpnb4
Taylor Lautner
'The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder on the Gulf Oil Disaster: 'Let's learn from this one' 24pjt4p
Stats

'The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder on the Gulf Oil Disaster: 'Let's learn from this one'

Go down 
AuthorMessage
EquallyDazzled
ADMIN
ADMIN
EquallyDazzled

'The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder on the Gulf Oil Disaster: 'Let's learn from this one' Empty
PostSubject: 'The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder on the Gulf Oil Disaster: 'Let's learn from this one'   'The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder on the Gulf Oil Disaster: 'Let's learn from this one' I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 11:47 am

'The Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder on the Gulf Oil Disaster: 'Let's learn from this one'

I've been speaking with "Vampire Diaries" star and passionate activist Ian Somerhalder all summer about the tragic Gulf oil disaster, so it was particularly appropriate that Zap2it was on location in Atlanta with "The Vampire Diaries" cast and crew when news broke that BP's initial cap test appeared successful.

Together, while Somerhalder was on a short break from filming, we read the Breaking News headline that no oil was leaking into the Gulf of Mexico for the first time since the Deepwater Horizon oil rig exploded on April 20.

"I feel relieved," he said. "I've felt physically sick about this for months now, literally, so even just a small amount of relief is a powerful feeling."

He's only cautiously hopeful, though, as he explains that there's still a serious risk that the build-up of pressure under the oil cap will render it useless and cause another gush of oil into the ocean. Though initial tests have been successful, we won't know whether the cap is a solution for quite a while.

Somerhalder is so dedicated to his personal B.P. boycott that when he ran out of gas on his way to the filming location that morning, he "cruised on fumes," passing several B.P. stations, until he finally found a Chevron.

He notes that the cap may be holding at the moment, but this development raises a host of new questions.

"All right, it's capped for now. There's no oil coming out. What do we do?" he asks. "Well, first we have to make sure B.P. makes good not only on the promises they've made, but on the responsibility that they now have. And I hope the U.S. government doesn't bow down like they did when the oil was leaking. I hope the government makes B.P. compensate."

He goes on to ask, "How do we rebuild these communities? How do we rebuild these economies and these ecosystems that are now destroyed? I don't know. Honestly, I don't know, and it's a baffling question. The wildlife and the people who depend on that ocean have to be a priority. The government can't turn their head away from that."

It's important to remember that despite the apparent success of B.P.'s cap, an entire ecosystem has already been devastated. The cap's temporary fix doesn't mean that the Gulf disaster shouldn't remain in our cultural consciousness, and it also shouldn't lull people into a false sense of security. Until changes are made in the way that we consume energy, we risk another catastrophe.

"The moratorium has been lifted. Congress says that - what is it? - that there's no evidence that offshore drilling is harmful to the environment," Somerhalder says, laughing bitterly. "That is the most bizarre thing. For a country as sophisticated as we'd like to think that we are, the fact that we can pass that kind of legislation? Again, it's not a political agenda of mine. It's just a question: How dumb can we be?"

Source
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1