Twilighters Retreat
Twilighters Retreat is a forum for people over the age of 18 who share a love of Twilight, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood and more.
Twilighters Retreat
Twilighters Retreat is a forum for people over the age of 18 who share a love of Twilight, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood and more.
Twilighters Retreat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Twilight Saga, The Vampire Diaries, Favourite authors and anything else you would like to discuss

HomeWelcomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» TVD Nominated for PCA's!
Is Twilight Racist? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 2:42 am by amandatran8

» Episode 9: Katerina
Is Twilight Racist? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 2:34 am by amandatran8

» New York Comic Con Teaser
Is Twilight Racist? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 6:50 am by amandatran8

» Taylor Lautner on the set of 'Abduction'
Is Twilight Racist? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:55 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» 2 outtakes of Taylor Lautner from Interview Magazine
Is Twilight Racist? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:53 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» New Fan Photo of Taylor Lautner on the set of Abduction
Is Twilight Racist? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:51 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» 561 screencaps of Taylor Lautner in 'Valentine's Day'
Is Twilight Racist? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:48 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» Five things to look forward to from 'The Twilight Saga: Eclipse' DVD release
Is Twilight Racist? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:42 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» New & Old HQ pics of Kristen and Taylor at the Eclipse Rome Photocall
Is Twilight Racist? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:36 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

Facebook
Twitter
Robert Pattinson
Is Twilight Racist? Fxwfax
Alexander Skarsgard
Is Twilight Racist? 2zq8s3c
Eric
Is Twilight Racist? Near15
Paul Wesley
Is Twilight Racist? 2ir18g5
Peter Facinelli
Is Twilight Racist? 24l7xcp
Stephen Moyer
Is Twilight Racist? 158795f
Jackson Rathbone
Is Twilight Racist? 30djz1h
Ian Somerhalder
Is Twilight Racist? 23kagwg
Damon
Is Twilight Racist? 34xgjcx
Kellan Lutz
Is Twilight Racist? 6fpnb4
Taylor Lautner
Is Twilight Racist? 24pjt4p
Stats

Is Twilight Racist?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Edwards Juliet
ADMIN
ADMIN
Edwards Juliet

Is Twilight Racist? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Twilight Racist?   Is Twilight Racist? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 8:49 am

Is Twilight Racist?
yet another look/view of the role Native American's play in Twilight and is the depiction of NAs deemed racist? Here's what The Buffalo Post says today. What do you think?

Is Native theme in ‘Twilight’ films racist?
Some professors at the University of Victoria in British Columbia think so.
A forum there in a couple of weeks will examine the question, according to this story by the Victoria Times Colonist:

The [April 21] gathering will look at whether the portrayal of the indigenous character Jacob, who turns into a werewolf, is a breakthrough or perpetuates stereotypes about native men.
“He doesn’t have feathers in his hair and doesn’t live in teepee,” said Janni Aragon, a University of Victoria political science professor.

“So just the fact there are indigenous men in this book and movie is a big thing. We could say that’s a win. But the next step is to say is how are these men portrayed.”

The insanely popular movies, “Twlight,” and “The Twilight Saga: New Moon,” are based on the insanely popular teen vampire books by Stephenie Meyer.

Werewolves in the series are ostensibly members of the Quileute tribe, and are played in the movie by Native American actors.

As the story notes, the main Quileute character, Jacob Black, is ” muscular, hotheaded, passionate and often dressed in cutoff-style jeans or shorts. That’s in contrast to the very white vampire Edward, who is well-groomed, elegant and rational.”

And, says Sikata Banerjee, a University of Victoria women’s studies professor and associate dean of humanities, Jacob is also portrayed as somewhat childlike – “irrational and emotive, and not really equal in citizenship.”

That, she says, is dangerous, in the way that it reinforces negative stereotypes about indigenous men. What do you think?

Source
Back to top Go down
Edwards Juliet
ADMIN
ADMIN
Edwards Juliet

PostSubject: Re: Is Twilight Racist?   Is Twilight Racist? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 10:14 pm

Here, Here!!! You Go Girl!!!
Back to top Go down
MrsJacobBlackWolf
BLACKS PACK
BLACKS PACK
MrsJacobBlackWolf

PostSubject: Re: Is Twilight Racist?   Is Twilight Racist? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 6:22 am

Edwards Juliet wrote:
Is Twilight Racist?
yet another look/view of the role Native American's play in Twilight and is the depiction of NAs deemed racist? Here's what The Buffalo Post says today. What do you think?

Is Native theme in ‘Twilight’ films racist?
Some professors at the University of Victoria in British Columbia think so.
A forum there in a couple of weeks will examine the question, according to this story by the Victoria Times Colonist:

The [April 21] gathering will look at whether the portrayal of the indigenous character Jacob, who turns into a werewolf, is a breakthrough or perpetuates stereotypes about native men.
“He doesn’t have feathers in his hair and doesn’t live in teepee,” said Janni Aragon, a University of Victoria political science professor.

“So just the fact there are indigenous men in this book and movie is a big thing. We could say that’s a win. But the next step is to say is how are these men portrayed.”

The insanely popular movies, “Twlight,” and “The Twilight Saga: New Moon,” are based on the insanely popular teen vampire books by Stephenie Meyer.

Werewolves in the series are ostensibly members of the Quileute tribe, and are played in the movie by Native American actors.

As the story notes, the main Quileute character, Jacob Black, is ” muscular, hotheaded, passionate and often dressed in cutoff-style jeans or shorts. That’s in contrast to the very white vampire Edward, who is well-groomed, elegant and rational.”

And, says Sikata Banerjee, a University of Victoria women’s studies professor and associate dean of humanities, Jacob is also portrayed as somewhat childlike – “irrational and emotive, and not really equal in citizenship.”

That, she says, is dangerous, in the way that it reinforces negative stereotypes about indigenous men. What do you think?

Source

WAIT... so u mean the Jacob character is portrayed as a *GASPS* REAL HUMAN BEING?!!!! Well that's not right........ I say SHUT THE HELL UP!!!!!! *Shaking My Head* No
Back to top Go down
MrsJacobBlackWolf
BLACKS PACK
BLACKS PACK
MrsJacobBlackWolf

PostSubject: Re: Is Twilight Racist?   Is Twilight Racist? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 6:24 am

Cryst@l wrote:
I really some people need to get a life. If you really want to, you can find racism in everything. Have they read the books? Of course the vampires are not going to be bronze surfie types. They're vampires! Dur! Indians, sorry native Americans have coloured skin. I think SM chose native Americans because of their rich culture and legends. I truly think that some people like the sound of their own voices. Are the Quileute tribe complaining? No.

THANK U!!!!!!!! Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Twilight Racist?   Is Twilight Racist? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is Twilight Racist?
Page 1 of 1