Twilighters Retreat
Twilighters Retreat is a forum for people over the age of 18 who share a love of Twilight, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood and more.
Twilighters Retreat
Twilighters Retreat is a forum for people over the age of 18 who share a love of Twilight, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood and more.
Twilighters Retreat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Twilight Saga, The Vampire Diaries, Favourite authors and anything else you would like to discuss

HomeWelcomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» TVD Nominated for PCA's!
'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 2:42 am by amandatran8

» Episode 9: Katerina
'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 2:34 am by amandatran8

» New York Comic Con Teaser
'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 6:50 am by amandatran8

» Taylor Lautner on the set of 'Abduction'
'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:55 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» 2 outtakes of Taylor Lautner from Interview Magazine
'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:53 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» New Fan Photo of Taylor Lautner on the set of Abduction
'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:51 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» 561 screencaps of Taylor Lautner in 'Valentine's Day'
'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:48 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» Five things to look forward to from 'The Twilight Saga: Eclipse' DVD release
'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:42 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» New & Old HQ pics of Kristen and Taylor at the Eclipse Rome Photocall
'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:36 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

Facebook
Twitter
Robert Pattinson
'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? Fxwfax
Alexander Skarsgard
'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? 2zq8s3c
Eric
'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? Near15
Paul Wesley
'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? 2ir18g5
Peter Facinelli
'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? 24l7xcp
Stephen Moyer
'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? 158795f
Jackson Rathbone
'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? 30djz1h
Ian Somerhalder
'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? 23kagwg
Damon
'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? 34xgjcx
Kellan Lutz
'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? 6fpnb4
Taylor Lautner
'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? 24pjt4p
Stats

'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along?

Go down 

Is it possible to be a fan of both? Let's find out: I'm a fan of...
'Harry Potter'
'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? I_vote_lcap0%'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
'Twilight'
'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? I_vote_lcap0%'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
'Harry Potter' and 'Twilight'
'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? I_vote_lcap100%'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? I_vote_rcap
 100% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 1

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
EquallyDazzled
ADMIN
ADMIN
EquallyDazzled

'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? Empty
PostSubject: 'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along?   'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 3:36 am

'Harry Potter' vs. 'Twilight': Can't we all just get along? 34yb60p

First, there was the battle between Harry Potter and Voldemort. Then the fight between Edward and Jacob. And now, the war between Harry Potter and Twilight fans. I’m not sure when that last tiff began, but as both franchises near their big-screen conclusions, it’s heating up. Sometimes it’s encouraged (okay, like when EW asked which clip that premiered during the MTV Movie Awards looked better, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows or The Twilight Saga: Eclipse — Deathly Hallows won with 88 percent of the vote, FYI). But sometimes it’s not, like when news first broke that Breaking Dawn might be two films and the comments section on our post about it turned into a forum for people to flame about how Twilight was just copying Harry Potter and milking its final installment.

It’s understandable that people could want to compare these two franchises — they’re both popular fantasy series-turned-movie sensations and have passionate, vocal fanbases that extend well beyond their target demos. But why do so many people feel the need to diss one when saying that they enjoy the other? Is it because as numerous as Twilight fans are, they still feel like an underdog, always under attack by those who wrongly dismiss the franchise as teenage fluff (and can’t stand that devotees of a boy wizard get a pass)? Because Harry Potter fans can’t understand why people (and the media) insist upon talking about a love triangle between a human, a vampire, and a werewolf when we could be discussing that boy wizard’s weightier struggle to survive the villain who killed his parents and is now determined to end Harry, Hogwarts, and the values they hold dear?

You can almost forget that it is possible to appreciate both franchises, that you locked yourself in your apartment the day you got Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows so you could read it before anyone spoiled the ending, and you read the first three Twilight books one after the other on vacation because they were that addictive. Absolutely, you’re allowed to have a preference between the novels and opinions on the quality of writing and acting in each of the film series. (I do. Only one of the authors made me cry in her final book, and only one of the franchises made me wish I had a wand to raise in solidarity at the end of the last movie.) But what’s the purpose of knocking one down to lift the other? Can’t we all play nice?

Source
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1