Twilighters Retreat
Twilighters Retreat is a forum for people over the age of 18 who share a love of Twilight, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood and more.
Twilighters Retreat
Twilighters Retreat is a forum for people over the age of 18 who share a love of Twilight, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood and more.
Twilighters Retreat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Twilight Saga, The Vampire Diaries, Favourite authors and anything else you would like to discuss

HomeWelcomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» TVD Nominated for PCA's!
'Twilight' got it wrong with the Quileute wolves I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 2:42 am by amandatran8

» Episode 9: Katerina
'Twilight' got it wrong with the Quileute wolves I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 2:34 am by amandatran8

» New York Comic Con Teaser
'Twilight' got it wrong with the Quileute wolves I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 6:50 am by amandatran8

» Taylor Lautner on the set of 'Abduction'
'Twilight' got it wrong with the Quileute wolves I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:55 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» 2 outtakes of Taylor Lautner from Interview Magazine
'Twilight' got it wrong with the Quileute wolves I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:53 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» New Fan Photo of Taylor Lautner on the set of Abduction
'Twilight' got it wrong with the Quileute wolves I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:51 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» 561 screencaps of Taylor Lautner in 'Valentine's Day'
'Twilight' got it wrong with the Quileute wolves I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:48 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» Five things to look forward to from 'The Twilight Saga: Eclipse' DVD release
'Twilight' got it wrong with the Quileute wolves I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:42 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

» New & Old HQ pics of Kristen and Taylor at the Eclipse Rome Photocall
'Twilight' got it wrong with the Quileute wolves I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:36 am by MrsJacobBlackWolf

Facebook
Twitter
Robert Pattinson
'Twilight' got it wrong with the Quileute wolves Fxwfax
Alexander Skarsgard
'Twilight' got it wrong with the Quileute wolves 2zq8s3c
Eric
'Twilight' got it wrong with the Quileute wolves Near15
Paul Wesley
'Twilight' got it wrong with the Quileute wolves 2ir18g5
Peter Facinelli
'Twilight' got it wrong with the Quileute wolves 24l7xcp
Stephen Moyer
'Twilight' got it wrong with the Quileute wolves 158795f
Jackson Rathbone
'Twilight' got it wrong with the Quileute wolves 30djz1h
Ian Somerhalder
'Twilight' got it wrong with the Quileute wolves 23kagwg
Damon
'Twilight' got it wrong with the Quileute wolves 34xgjcx
Kellan Lutz
'Twilight' got it wrong with the Quileute wolves 6fpnb4
Taylor Lautner
'Twilight' got it wrong with the Quileute wolves 24pjt4p
Stats

'Twilight' got it wrong with the Quileute wolves

Go down 
AuthorMessage
EquallyDazzled
ADMIN
ADMIN
EquallyDazzled

'Twilight' got it wrong with the Quileute wolves Empty
PostSubject: 'Twilight' got it wrong with the Quileute wolves   'Twilight' got it wrong with the Quileute wolves I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 2:36 pm

'Twilight' got it wrong with the Quileute wolves 156a06h

Twilight got it all wrong regarding Quileute legend.

First of all, there weren't ever werewolves. There wasn't a pact with vampires. And there certainly aren't teen heartthrobs running around the woods wearing cutoffs and not much else.

But according to the Quileute Tribe, there were wolves.

Quileute legend is the subject of an exhibit opening in August at the Seattle Art Museum. Spurred by the craze that's grown from Stephenie Meyer's "Twilight" books and the more recent movie saga, SAM is preparing to open an exhibition called "Behind the Scenes: the Real Story of Quileute Wolves."

In case you're not up on the latest teen craze, the Quileute people are portrayed in the "Twilight" books and movies as werewolves, the sworn enemy of vampires. One particular werewolf, Jacob Black, is a love interest of heroine Bella Swan.

The SAM exhibit debuts at the museum Aug. 14 and will run for one year. The idea is to authentically portray the Quileute legends built around wolves, said curator Barbara Brotherton.

Believe it or not, it's not exactly the story Jacob lays out for Bella while strolling on a Washington beach during the first movie.

"There is that wolf connection, but it's as a first ancestor," Brotherton said. "And it's a benevolent thing. The wolves are the protectors of the people. There's none of the dark side."

Legend holds that the first Quileute people were wolves who were changed to human form by Kwati, known as the transformer. For that reason, wolf imagery features prominently in Quileute art.

About 30 works of art will be on display at SAM, including headdresses, sculptures and basketry.

Brotherton said she's talked with some of the actors who portray members of the "wolf pack" in the "Twilight" movies. Most weren't even aware the Quileute people really existed, though the movie is supposed to take place near their tribal land in La Push.

"None of it was shot on the Olympic Peninsula except for some scenic shots, so the actors were never here," said Brotherton, speaking from the peninsula where she's finalizing details for the exhibit's opening.

In reality, the Quileutes live on a small reservation. Brotherton said they were ill equipped to deal with the tourism mania that resulted from the popular books and movies -- and that's one reason SAM decided to tell their story.

"They thought, let's use 'Twilight' as the entry point," she said. "But let it really be about our ancestral relationship with wolves. They've never been werewolves, but wolves are very important."

The exhibition opens Aug. 14 with a performance by a Quileute song and dance group.

Brotherton said she hopes "Twilight" fans will visit the exhibit, and that teachers will capitalize on the craze in the classroom.

"We're really hoping to target teen audiences," she said. "There's a teacher guide, so we're hoping teachers will use it as an opportunity with their young people -- to talk about media literacy and misconceptions and how to look at that critically."

Source
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1